Saturday, November 19, 2022

I Crossed the Finished Line!

Yes... I did... I was hoping to finish under 15 hours... but the unexpected happened!

The weather was what I enjoy -- rain! But what I didn't prepare for was the blisters! With wet socks and shoes, my feet rubbed and the blisters developed! At first, it felt like sand pebbles in my socks. And soon, it felt like pins. At the rest stop, I took off my socks and another runner helped me. He had a whole first aid kit in his backpack! At the main rest stop, I sought help again. The EMT asked if I was going to forfeit. I said, NO! So, he wrapped my foot up. For the rest of the laps, I walked. And that was how I finished. It was NOT a 'pretty' finish. I guess people ask, "Why?" I guess the answer is: I don't know. The challenge... the unachievable... the overcoming the hurdles... The mountain is there and I want to climb it!

I will say that for the first 7 hours, I had such a splendid time. From 9pm to about 4am, running in the rain, the silence, the solitude. I saw people running but no one was talking. We were on our own journey. At about 5am, I met some other runners... we talked... and I was beginning to feel the pain. By 6am, the other races started. And I pretty much walked from 6am to 2pm! It took me 8 hours to walk the last 42km!

At every rest stop, I greeted the volunteers. I stopped and refueled. A piece of cut up banana, a cup of their special mixed drink, like energy drink, a cracker. After every lap, I took a gel or more salt tablets. Towards the end, I rubbed massage cream on me and chaffing cream. 

For my 6th lap, God provided a lady who was running the marathon. But she was hurt. She wanted to run only one lap. Her husband was running the full. She ran up to me and asked if she could join me. So, we talked for that lap. Then the 7th and 8th lap, with the sun, the blisters, I just prayed and quoted Scriptures!

Alan and Isaiah were there. It was so great when I came up towards the end and saw Isaiah. Wow... that feeling of I'm almost there was incredible. He filmed the last 200meters. And Alan was at the finished line. 17 hours and 25 minutes and 44 seconds. My official time. 69/108 participants! 9 in the women category. There were only 16 women! Several of them gave up after the 3 lap. Several of the men fell and had to be patched up. I'm not sure if they continued. I will go and see what was the fastest time for the men and women and report in my next blog!

I was not hungry. I was not sleepy. But when I got home, put everything away, showered, and laid down at 8pm, I was fast asleep. We were going to have Family Time. My eyes stung when I tried to open them. I guess I hadn't slept for more than 24 hours!

Will I do another ultra? DEFINITELY! Not in Taiwan... A more scenic one... maybe not so intense!

Daily Lovely Insight:

What is one take away from this experience?

I will never be able to fully experience the pain the Lord Jesus took on my behalf in his journey to redeem me!

Nor will I ever comprehend his love towards me in coming as the Emmanuel, God with us!

During those hours, His presence was constant, even when I didn't see or feel it!

Seek Him First!

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as so...

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you should have had another pair or two of shoes and many pairs of socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the elite runners had several pairs of shoes and socks and their own gel packs and refreshments! Alan noticed that when he came to pick me up! I was not prepared for blisters. One guy had this skin tape that he gave me some!

      Delete
  2. You’re my hero Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete