Thursday, May 4, 2017

Tutoring vs Teaching

Some people don't know that even though I have retired from my full time teaching job, I still tutor on the side. Why? Why did I take early retirement?

I mean... my full time teaching position had so many advantages -- 13.5 months of pay, about 2,500US$ a month, teaching only 10 hours plus office hours... paid insurance, retirement funds, summer and winter vacations, etc.

Now, I tutor anywhere from 6-13 hours a week, making less money, no new year bonus, no retirement, no paid insurance, traveling to different places, and if I don't work, I don't earn anything!

So, why did I retire??? Many people ask that.

The key reason is FLEXIBILITY! If I need to go to the States, I call my tutees and tell them. And because the kids like me, the parents won't go and find another tutor! They are willing to wait until I'm back in Taipei. With a full time teaching job, I could never have that kind of flexibility. The second major reason is NOT HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE CRAZY ADMINISTRATION at the school! I feel that I have a lot more freedom whereas at my teaching job, we were always 'scared' that at our monthly meeting, we were going to be surprised by another insane decision!

Thinking about this, I have no regret about retiring early.

Seek Him First!
Image result for Psalm 43: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment