Friday, November 20, 2015

Go Seniors!

Not having attended high school here in Taiwan, I had another 'first' today.

You know about the packets we've been assembling. Well, today was the school event.

617 seniors, their homeroom teachers, some of the school administrators and about a handful of parents gathered in the main auditorium.  The parents were set at different 'posts' around the room while the seniors were in the center. They were given candles and in front of each class, there were signs on the table. Each sign had words of encouragement. The seniors lit their candles and put them on top of the paper, lighting up the words. They gathered around and took pictures. Then they proceeded to come over to their assigned station and the parent at the station handed out a lunchbox filled with four food items that made up another encouraging phrase when put together in Chinese. I tried to say something encouraging to the students as I gave them the box. Looking into their eyes, I could see that even though they were almost 18, in their heart, they were still kids, scared about their future, wondering, doubting, trying... in less than 62 days, they'd be faced with two days of harrowing tests which would give them a score that pointed to their future college and department. Sad... as I've taught some of these kids who were in the accounting department but hated accounting.  They got there because of a score.

I will be praying for these kids. Alan handed out boxes to the PE class. And looking at these big 'tough looking' basketball players, I again saw kids, who needed to be love, who wanted to fit in, who wanted to belong.

God again confirmed to me that He wanted us to be a part of PTA. I don't know what we could do, but I will do what I do best -- I will be praying for them.

Here are some pictures from today --

Seek Him First!
Image result for Psalm 119: 160

No comments:

Post a Comment