Monday, December 19, 2016

The Passing of A Dear Brother, Irwin Jao

Alan and I have known Irwin for almost 30 years. When we served at Evergreen International Fellowship, Irwin had come and joined Alan's men's Bible study group. Later on he started dating Stephanie, and she attended my small group and came to know Jesus.

Even when they went to study in England or taught in Hualien, we had always kept in touch. He loved to play tennis, and of course, he and Alan would play together.

Three years ago, we knew about the rare form of cancer he had. In order to keep the cancer in remission, he retired. He had been wise and thus financially was quite stable. His daughters are all brilliant. Stephanie fully supported his decision to retire. Instead of seeking western medicine, he had gone with alternative medicine.

But in October, he started to feel the onset of the caner -- he couldn't eat, his tongue swelled up, his energy level dropped tremendously. We visited him at his home. We prayed for Jesus to heal and extend his life.

About a month ago, he was hospitalized, hoping that western medicine might extend his life.

Last night, Alan went to visit him at the hospital. He came home and said that Irwin was losing more awareness, becoming less responsive.

Stephanie told me today that just after midnight, the doctors told her it could be anytime. They all spent the night at the hospital.  This morning his heartbeat stopped. They took out the tube and pronounced his passing at 10:28.

I wanted a Lazarus miracle. I know God is able. And I asked God to raise him, to restore his body. We were by his bedside. God chose not to.

It was very difficult for me to see Irwin there -- lying so still -- knowing that Jesus has taken him home. I know he is in a better place. I know he is feasting with Jesus -- no pain, no tear. But the selfish part of me wanted him to stay a little longer, for the sake of his wife, for the sake of his daughters, for the sake of his mother and sisters and church friends...

I went with everyone from the hospital to the mortuary... people here are very superstitious... I'm thankful Stephanie is not...

All the way home, I continued to cry out to God... I don't understand His way, His timing... But I know my God is good... He is faithful. His way is best!

Seek Him First!
Irwin with Stephanie & their three wonderful daughters
Image result for Psalm 32:1

No comments:

Post a Comment