Friday, December 15, 2017

Don't Run to Donate Blood

I learned something new today...

I was hoping to run to the blood drive truck and then run back to Neihu.

It was an unusually warm day... so by the time I ran to the blood drive truck, I was sweating... not too bad... but fairly hot.

There was a line and I waited to get registered.

The nurse took my blood pressure and immediately said, You are not hydrated! Drink two cups of warm water and come back for me to take your blood pressure again. I was so surprised. How can she tell just by taking my blood pressure?

I drank two small cartons of sugary tea drinks... and one bottle of water.

Okay... Blood pressure good...

I get in the chair... and after I got started, the nurse came over and said, Hum? You must be cold... and handed me a hot water bottle. I couldn't believe it... how did she know? She then gave me more water to drink, saying, Your blood is not flowing well...

When I finished, the nurse said, No running back... No biking back... only walk! What??? And she made sure I drank some more water and cartons of sugary tea! I did and ate two packets of crackers. But she was right as I was feeling a bit lightheaded!

So... Alan was around at a luncheon and came to pick me up.

I didn't get my long run in!!!!!!!!!!

God knew best as I had so much to do in the afternoon and evening... I made chicken enchiladas for dinner as Isaiah got a 96 on the midterm test in one of his most difficult classes! We had to celebrate. 100 on the French test... He is definitely enjoying college life and his studies!

Seek Him First!
Image result for Psalm 73:28

2 comments:

  1. You can pass out and hit your head and be gone just like that. YOU CANNOT give blood and run, and the nurse is absolutely right. NOT SAFE, don't do it...... your health is more important than your runs. Also dehydration can be silent and can give you weird symptoms for weeks to come...... just saying.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew... Man, I was so shocked... How did she know just from looking at my blood pressure? So, I was very good and listened... I did not run back to Neihu!

    ReplyDelete