Sunday, November 16, 2014

Two-edged Sword

I wrote yesterday that our family verse for this year is Heb. 4:12 --

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 

And since starting this year, I'm going to use my daily blog to highlight what the Lord has been teaching me. So, I think it would be great to start with this verse.

Two-edged sword -- now, I am not an expert on sword fight, even though I did take fencing while I was in Germany.  (And how I enjoyed learning to fence while in Germany, but I have never used a double-edged sword. We used only foils.)

Unlike a foil, a two-edged sword can cut both ways. And the word of God is referenced as the sword of the Spirit --

Eph. 6:17 says, 
And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

Here is another reference to the two-edged sword from Rev. 1:16 -- 
In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. 

And by the verse, God's word is living, active and sharper than a two-edged sword.  It can cut through what no sword can ever do.  Not only can it cut, it can judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.    

No wonder when Peter shared his first message, it says in Acts 2:37, "Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren, what shall we do?" 

That's amazing.  God's word indeed is living and active and SHARPER than a two-edged sword!

Seek Him First!




No comments:

Post a Comment