Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Love of Learning Languages

I have a love of learning new languages.

Before we had kids, Alan and I often used our Chinese New Year vacations to travel around Asia. What I enjoyed most about these trips was the chance to learn how to speak a few words in the local language.  Within a week, I felt like a native, thinking -- if I lived here for six months, I'd be able to learn to converse with the locals.

Now, years later, being retired, I am finally having the time to do something that I've been wanting to do -- spend time learning new languages.

I went to the local library and borrowed a stack of books with CDs.  Each day when I'm home with Abby, I put on one CD and go through the basics.  It has been so much fun!

I have listened to Hebrew, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese and Korean.  I still have Spanish and German. I want to find a CD for Greek and a more in depth book and CD for Hebrew.  Whatever I borrow from the local library, I get to keep for 4 weeks. I can recheck all of them out again, as long as no one has reserved it.

I just listen to the CDs over and over again.  I'm not learning to read or write. I just want to learn how to speak -- at least some basic words and conversation.  

Maybe I will get good enough to sing a few praise songs in that language.

Did I say it has been tremendously fun???  

Seek Him First!

No comments:

Post a Comment