Monday, October 6, 2014

A Memory From Long Ago

This evening I was making protein shakes for my son.  I made three different kinds.  One was pineapple. Another was chocolate. And guava was the last kind.

While cutting the guava, I decided to have a bite. With that one bite, a flood of memories came to mind.

I was transported back to my grandfather's house in Hsintien where he had a guava tree.  We'd pick the fruit and eat it in the back yard.  The guava he had were the kind that was pink inside. They were always so sweet and ripe.  So strange... it was like I was 5 and in that yard again just with that one bite of ripe guava!


My grandfather was born in 1895 and he passed away in 1984.  I remember my grandfather's old house and his living room.  In my mind, he was a gentle old man, very unlike my father.  But perhaps when he raised his son, he was extremely strict.  So, my father raised us with severity of punishment. With that memory, I decided to go to the library and check out a Cantonese CD, which I am presently listening to while I finish this post.  (Yes, my grandfather spoke Cantonese!)

I have visited my grandparents' grave site, but have never found the old house or seen that guava tree.



Seek Him First.


No comments:

Post a Comment