Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Trying to Get the Hot Water Heater Changed

Today was an interesting day. We were all up early as Isaiah had to be at school by 6:30 for the start of his graduation trip.  After saying goodbye to him (and he has called us throughout the day to say that he is having a great time), I waited for the service man to call to let me know when he could come over to change our hot water heater.  He finally called at 10 minutes before 12 noon and said that he could come at 7:00 this evening!

Let me back up and explain a bit.  I had the fire inspector come on Monday night as Taipei city is trying to encourage all citizens to replace their old hot water heater.  Our hot water heater was installed 10 years ago when we first moved in.  It uses natural gas and there is a battery which helps it to start up.  If the wind blows too hard, the fire might go off but the gas will continue. Hence, you can die from gas poisoning if you close the windows to prevent the wind from blowing.

So, I got the paperwork, called a company that sells hot water heater and was trying to get this all done before our trip to the States.

The guy came this evening with all his tools and the hot water heater.  He went to my back balcony and looked.  Unfortunately, the pipe to push out all the gas fume needs a 7cm hole and the opening we have right now is only 4.5cms.  WHAT??? I have to either change the window panels or cut a hole through cement, which can't be done tonight!

The conclusion -- I won't be able to get the hot water heater changed until after our trip and we won't be able to get the subsidy from Taipei City Government.

Here is a picture of our back balcony (I had to take several as I was planning to apply for the subsidy.)  That's our hot water heater.  We have our washing machine and our dryer right next to it. Across from the hot water heater is our little oven.  And we hang dry our clothes as much as possible, hence the rod hanging from the ceiling.
While I'm at it, here is my kitchen --

Above the sink is not a dish washer. It's a dish dryer that we NEVER use!

And just in case you're wondering, my rain-drenched iPod is sitting in that blue cup of rice, waiting to be revived!

Seek Him First!


3 comments:

  1. That’s too bad! The way the current water heater works does seem dangerous. It’s a good thing the Taipei government recognized that. So how was the trip? Have you been able to replace your current water heater?

    Monica Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you have been going through. I know living overseas can have its down sides sometimes as my husband and I live in Japan. We have adapted to the atmosphere here and are making the most of it. There are times when things are difficult but we always look to the bright side, thanks.

    Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for an interesting blog. What else may I get that sort of info written in such a perfect approach? I have an undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the lookout for such info. hydrogen water to

    ReplyDelete