Monday, February 17, 2014

Border Tragedy

Since I had a free moment this afternoon, I went and read a few headlines in the local newspaper via the internet.

One particular item caught my attention.

On the border of Egypt and Israel in a small seaside town of Taba, a bomb was planted on a tourist bus that killed four and wounded all 33 people on board with 13 in serious condition.  The bus was filled with Christians from South Korea who had just been to Saint Catherine's Monastery in Mt. Sinai.  This group of Christians probably had climbed Mount Sinai in the wee hours and were heading back to Israel, going from the wilderness into the Promised Land.  I read that the trip was to mark the 60th anniversary of a church located near Seoul and many members had saved up for quite a while just to go and visit these well known Biblical sights.  According to the news report, the bus made an unscheduled stop at a cafĂ© and that might be when the bomb was planted.

In 2008, when we went around the world, we had climbed Mt. Sinai and caught a small shuttle bus from Saint Catherine's Monastery to Taba.  Our kids almost died of dehydration and we rested in Taba before taking another small van to the border where we walked across into Israel.  When I saw the footages of this tragedy, I can recall exactly where the bus was parked when the bomb exploded.

I don't know those who were on that bus, but how I grieve with their families and friends.  Yes, the four who were killed have entered into the eternal Promised Land and are now with their Heavenly Father.  Yet, I am sure there will be many tears and questions for those in their church back in Korea.  How can those who love the LORD experience such a tragedy?  I don't have any answers.  I pray that God would minister to those whose hearts are hurting. I pray that God would minister to those whose body is in need of healing.  I pray that God would shine through this time of mourning... and in ways I cannot see possible, may He turn this mourning into glory to His Name.

Seek Him First!

No comments:

Post a Comment