Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Becoming More Savvy at Online Shopping

Last Saturday, I ventured out into the land of on-line shopping. 

Those of you who have been reading my blog postings, you know that we have been in search of a perfect sofa. Much of the research has been done via the internet.  I finally found our sofa and bought it on line!  The price was right and the people who delivered it were super nice and efficient.  And when I found a flaw and called them about it, they promptly got back to me and are in the process of arranging the delivery of a replacement...

My next purchase was a refrigerator. I was lured by the offer of a 1000NT$ Shopping Coupon. That brought the total price of the frig much lower than all the ones I had found.  I quickly ordered it --
ON LINE. My second purchase!

After my second bold purchase, I decided to call customer service, because I was on the verge of buying a washing machine and couldn't understand a few things about what was being advertised.  I soon realized that I should have done this earlier.

Here is what I have learned --

1.  Shopping coupons aren't what they seem to be.  Yes, they offer you 1000NT$, but you can only use 200NT$ each time.  So, you have 5 coupons for 200NT$.  BUT -- you can only use it for items that are more than 2000NT$.  That's not all.  You can only use the coupons for appliances AND you have only 10 days to use all five coupons. That means, I would have to buy five more appliances in the space of 10 short days and each appliance has to be more than 2000NT$.  So, the purchase of the refrigerator wasn't as great of a deal as I had initially imagined.

2.  Specially priced items aren't what they seem to be.  You have to read the fine prints on these items. Most of them are displayed items or items that have been returned. Yes, they supposedly work just fine but there might be a few scratches or "bumps and bruises" on the exterior of the machine.  These items also do not come with free installation.  You have to know how to install the item. They only deliver it to your step. You have to do the rest.

3.  On line prices might not be as low as they seem to be. I realized that it is very important to do an extensive price comparison before buying something on line. With the sofa, we had gone to several shops and then went on line. I had done the same with the refrigerator. In my excitement, I was going to buy a washer, but I hadn't done the thorough research.  Last night, I decided to go and see different models of washer at one of the stores near our house. It was an eye opener as there are some good deals, maybe even better than what I found on line. 

So, I have not purchase the washer or the dryer for the Danhsui house.  I am going to slow down and do some more research.  The refrigerator will be delivered on Friday, 2/21. The "coupon" that lured me into buying it in the first place can't be used until 3/25! 

I am becoming more savvy at online shopping.  By the way, did I mention the groceries I bought online?

Seek Him First!

No comments:

Post a Comment