Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Truth of John 20

The Resurrection just blows me away. Each time I read the accounts of the Resurrection, I try to imagine what the women and the disciples might have felt as they went to the tomb.  The dialogue and the details just captivate me. No one expected it. No one could have imagined it. No one understood what Jesus had said would happen.

John 20:9-10 For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. So the disciples went away again to their own homes. 

The disciples went to the tomb, saw that the body was gone and then went home.  Mary stayed and talked with the angels and then saw Jesus!

John 20:18  Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and that He had said these things to her. 

How fast did Mary Magdalene run?  How loud was her voice when she announced the truth, "I have seen the Lord"?  How fast did she talk trying to repeat all that transpired?

And then for the disciples to see Jesus... 

The Resurrection just amazes me. And I want to live each day with the truth of His resurrection shining forth in my life.  And like Mary, I want to daily say, I have seen the Lord!

Timothy R. Valentino had this to say in one of his sermons entitled, Running on Empty, John 20: 1-31


Running on Empty 2_t
Consider the figures mentioned in John 20, and how Jesus interacts with them—both before and after his resurrection:
JOHN is the portrait of an EASY-COMING faith. His personal struggle seems to be, “I need significance in my life.” And John discovers that the risen Christ gives his people a new identity and purpose.
PETER is the portrait of a GUILT-RIDDEN faith. His personal struggle seems to be, “I need forgiveness for my sins.” And Peter discovers that the risen Christ gives his people a new freedom and power.
MARY MAGDALENE is the portrait of a GRIEF-STRICKEN faith. Her personal struggle seems to be, “I need comfort for my despair.” And Mary discovers that the risen Christ gives his people a new intimacy and hope.
THOMAS is the portrait of a SHOW-ME faith. His personal struggle seems to be, “I need irrefutable evidence to believe.” And Thomas discovers that the risen Christ gives his people a new assurance and confidence.
Because of his humility, Jesus does not coerce faith, but because of his authority, he deserves it. The risen Christ still gives open-minded and tender-hearted people what they need to believe in him.
What is it that you still need to believe?

Seek Him First!

No comments:

Post a Comment